Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival

Well, I don't know what everyone else thought about the MDS&W Festival this year but I have to say I was a little disappointed. This was the first year I went and I couldn't believe how crazy it was. There were people everywhere and everyone apparently was there for Socks That Rock and Koigu! Jes and I got there a little after 9 am when it opened but we took our sweet little time eating breakfast in the car. By the time we got the The Fold to get some Socks That Rock, there was hardly anything left! I managed to get 3 hanks (Ruby Slippers, Falcon's Eye and Moss Agate), not necessarily colors I would have normally chosen but I like them nonetheless. We wanted the light weight but all they had was medium weight. I've already started a pair in the Yarrow Rib from KVS. Then we found the Koigu booth and that was complete madness as well. I guess it was mill ends at like twenty-some cents an ounce but by the time we got there, there was a huge line with people with armfuls (and baskets full!) of Koigu. I have to say at this point I was really pissed off, seeing all those pushy b!&%$s in line with tons of Koigu falling out of their arms, I mean save some for the rest of us! How much Koigu does one person need? I calmed down after a while and we enjoyed the rest day. The weather was beautiful, not too hot and it didn't rain which I was worried about being a possibility. A couple other booths had some Koigu so I got 4 skeins of that as well at the regular price (but at least I could see the colors in person and not have to pay shipping). I also got a wool/mohair blend (that I realized was a bit smelly when I got home and hubby exclaimed, what is that smell?). I plan on making Clapotis with it, they had one on display in their booth and the yarn was all such beautiful colors I had trouble picking one! So, overall it was a fun time and I'll probably end up going again next year, especially since it's only an hour drive from my house. And at least I'll know what to expect and will arrive EARLY so I can be a b%#@$ in line with armfuls of sock yarn!

6 Comments:

Blogger Jes said...

Someon is having fun with their macro lens!
You have to send me your pics from that day. For some reason I need more pictures of sheep.

5/10/2006 09:08:00 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

You got some lovely yarn despite it not being quite what you wanted.

5/10/2006 10:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next year when you go make sure your packing heat to take out some of those old fat bittys. Represent!!!

5/10/2006 07:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed your birthday post, but a belated Happy happy day! Our birthdays are one day apart, how funny.

Nice present. I'm getting a grill that I have yet to choose. Nothing like delaying birthday gratification.

5/11/2006 04:39:00 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

That doesn't sound like something I would enjoy either. Have they never seen yarn before? Shesh!

Amy

5/11/2006 05:21:00 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I was so glad when I wandered over here to see that you're a knitter. I just bought some sock yarn and am a bit intimidated by how thin it is! Would love to pick your brain a little bit about good sock patterns for a newbie knitter like me. Could you send me an email? jojo(at)greatturtle(dot)com. Thanks! ;)

5/12/2006 02:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home