Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Quilting

Something I've discovered recently is that there knitters, and there are quilters. I am a knitter that likes to quilt. I don't mean to offend any quilters out there, I came across some beautiful quilts like this one in my search for inspiration for a quilt for my daughter's room. But every time I found a blog with a quilt I liked, I realized they are knitters too! I've been working on a lap quilt I plan on giving as a gift for the past few weeks. In fact, I didn't knit at all this weekend! It's been a few months since I've gone even 1 single day without knitting. I have really been enjoying making it, I finished piecing the top last weekend and I was working on the quilting this weekend. I'm using some Tracy Porter fabrics I found at Joann's, I think they are really pretty together! My mom brought up her Pfaff sewing machine for me to use for machine quilting since it has a nice quilting stitch, but I've been having some problems with it. We're using nylon invisible thread for the top thread and 100% cotton thread for the bobbin. It is bunching up the quilt and the stitches are bumpy in spots. We're going to the sewing store tomorrow where they're going to give us another thread to try and program a slightly different stitch into the machine that will hopefully work better. I'm glad, because I was getting really frustrated! I just wanted to make something quick so there is no way I'm going to hand quilt this thing. And I took out the quilt I pieced in college (probably 1998) and haven't gotten around to quilting. I plan on hand quilting it and was so overwhelmed with the amount of work that needed to be put into it I've been hiding it in my closet for years. My aunt came to visit a few month ago and encouraged me to at least piece the quilt together and we put the binding on to make it more "finished" so I could use it while quilting it. I worked on it a lot this weekend and have been mostly quilting in the ditch of the main blocks and have almost finished that. It's going fairly quickly so I'm beginning to realize it is actually possible to finish and will be so beautiful when it's done. What is it with kids and tape measures? They seem to entertain them to no end! Knitting to resume shortly!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Those are lovely looking quilts! I've made one quilt, and have plans to make so many more... But I kind of got caught up in the knitting too :)

3/21/2006 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Jes said...

Wow, the quilts look great. Maybe you need to hijack that machine for awhile so I can come up and you can help me with mine. It's not getting anywhere on it's own

3/21/2006 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger beki said...

Beautiful quilts! I finished my first baby-sized one this weekend. About your sewing problem, are you using a walking foot (sometimes called a dual feed foot)? That may be part of the problem.

3/21/2006 04:12:00 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Somebody certainly seems to be enjoying herself!

You quilts are lovely and I'm sure they'll be fantatsic once you've finished

3/24/2006 03:26:00 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I have the same tape measure.

I never get tired of looking at pics of your daughter. She is absolutely precious.

Amy

3/25/2006 08:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home