Sunday, March 26, 2006

Abandoned UFOs

I consider myself a finisher. I don't start projects only to abandom them for something else. My mom hardly ever finishes the projects she starts, so maybe that's why I have a compulsion to finish things. But at what point do you abandon a project? Like, say, the picot dress for the baby that would fit my 3 year old? Or the blue and white quilt that no one seems to like (including myself)? Why should I spend hours and hours (maybe years and years) hand quilting something that no longer fits my taste and won't have a place in our house? What makes you decide to abandon a project? Should I finish the dress just because I started it and it will fit her someday? Do I finish the quilt that I'll never use? And to show you that I do still, indeed knit, here are my bunny pieces. My son knows I'm knitting something for him and keeps asking if it's a Hummer. No idea why he thinks that! He told me to knit faster!!! I'm almost finished the pieces so they just need to be put together, I'm not looking forward to that part! This is my first knitted stuffed animal so I'm excited to see how it will take shape. *-*-*-*-*-*-* End of Knitting Content *-*-*-*-*-*-* I've given up on machine quilting the lap quilt and decided to hand quilt it. With all the time I've put into figuring out this machine quilting thing, with or without invisibile thread, programming in new stitches, and ripping out all the failed attempts, I've decided it will be faster to hand quilt it! Plus, after buying Kaffe Fassett's Quilt Road (awesome book!) I noticed he often quilts a square inside the square, which I LOVE and am doing for this quilt. I just wasn't happy with the way it looked stitching in the ditch. And I like things symmetrical so I also didn't like quilting 1/4" on one side of the block. But the squares are perfect!!! Look how cute! And on the home renovation front, we finally tore up the last of the wall to wall carpet in the house. We wanted to finish painting the hall and steps first and once that was finished, out went the carpet. I had no idea how many staples there were, what I thought would take an hour took 6. My hands and back are so sore I can barely move today. But it looks great, I can't believe someone would cover up hardwood floors, even the steps are hardwood! They look good enough as is we probably won't refinish them. I just need to paint the baseboards. But this is really bothering me. Why are the boards going in different directions in the middle of the hallway? It's not even in the middle, it's like 1/4 one direction and 3/4 the other. Strange. We figured they probably had different guys working on each side of the house and when they met in the hallway they were like "oh, shit!" I'm thinking I might get a runner carpet for the hallway but I'm not sure how I'll get it to stay in place.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your quilt. I don't think I have the patience to hand quilt a quilt of that size.

Wow, your floors look great! Lucky you for finding such a treasure. Who knows why the floors run indifferent directions, older houses are full of mysteries.

3/27/2006 08:38:00 AM  
Blogger Jes said...

Wow, so much stuff!

The bunny parts are overwhelming, I don't blame you. You're not going to like me when you see the elephant/bunny/bear pattern that I have that's knit in three peices only.

The quilt is awesome. I can't believe you went for the hand quilting, but I don't blame you after all the crap you went through. How the hell do you figure out how to make the squares right?

As for the floors, I have no idea. But they do make a bunch of ways to keep floors in place. They have those rubbery pads for underneath, sort of like rubber contact paper for your floor (but not sticky). They also have tape, but I've never found that to be effective. I'm sure there are other ways too. My grandparents have one in their hallway, and it's never been a problem.

Wow, maybe I just should have called you instead of commenting ;)

3/27/2006 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

I tend to leave things half done for ages. I dread to thing of all the things in bits hidden under the bed. I think sometimes you have to give it up as a bad job, especially if you will never use the finished project.

I think it's so sweet that your son wants you to knit faster. I hope he likes his bunny.

I prefer to hand sew things too. I find the machine can be a pain to sort out.

As for a runner carpet. Ikea sell something to go under rugs and the like to stop them slipping on wooden floors. I don't know what it's called or how well it works as ours is still in the packet and I am still slipping on the rug. You could use two sided tape, but it may pull up th efinish on your floor.

3/27/2006 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

A Hummer. I love it!

3/28/2006 10:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home