Monday, January 16, 2006

My trip to Grandma's house...

Well, our electricity is back on so I'm in a better mood today! Once we got the generator up and running things weren't so bad. The house already has a generator hook-up outside that turns on the entire house, so I get the feeling this happens often around here. Anyway, we got the heat on and it was actually rather comfortable last night and when we woke up the electricity was back on. We had a fun trip but it was thoroughly exhausting. It was just me, my mom and the 2 kids. The hardest part was loading and unloading the car over and over. We broke up the trip and stopped at my aunt's house both ways which was nice that the driving wasn't too long (about 6 hours each segment) but we would have to pack everything up every time. It didn't seem like we had enough time to get everything done. As soon as we would get somewhere it was time to leave again. But it was well worth all the trouble so my grandmother could see the kids. My grandmother went with me on our yarn-hunt. Our first stop was Charlotte Yarnwhich was my favorite and the only place I actually purchased anything (I know, I have amazing restraint). They had a great selection of yarn, all my favorites brands. The staff was really friendly and the prices were good. I got 2 hanks of Blue Sky Alpacas Cotton (pale yellow and pale blue), a bottle of Euclan and folding scissors (since my son has been emptying my knitting bag a lot lately I needed something child-proof). Then, we went to Sewing Bird. It was also a nice store with a good selection. I really didn't have any projects in mind and I'm not much of a "stash" person so I enjoyed just browsing and feeling all the different brands. And lastly we visited Stitch Fine Yarns. It was a beautiful store and in a gorgeous up-scale building. They also seemed to have a good selection but was a little pricey, probably because of the location. But a beautiful store nonetheless. And here's my Koigu sock. As you can see, not a whole lot of progress. I really didn't get any knitting done on the trip since I hardly had a chance to sit down! I'm not sure about the fit, my guage is off I think but they are 9" around as the pattern states. But I didn't realize when I looked at the pattern that the finished size is 9" around which is the size of my ankle. I think there should be 1" of negative ease, is that right? So I may frog this and start over with a few less stitches if I can figure out what that magic number is. I started with 72 stitches on size US1 DPNs. I'm getting about 17 stitches for 2" so I should cast on 68 stitches to get 8"? Any suggestions welcome! I seem to have trouble with socks.

2 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

Try them on to see how they fit. I think it should be OK.

I swear, your daughter is the cutest thing. She looks like a little doll.

I remember those packing/unpacking days. The twin stroller was the worst. It was a tank!

Amy

1/17/2006 07:51:00 AM  
Blogger Jes said...

Mathmatically speak 68 sounds good to me. What you're doing is the same thing I had to do with the hat to figure out when to stop increasing. Doesn't it hurt your brain? Somehow I can do calculus, but I can barely figure out my gauge.
Surely, one day we'll have a light bulb moment and it will all make sense. Until then, trust the calculator.

1/17/2006 09:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home