Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Anyone want a dog? Warning....no knitting content!

I am so sick of our dog I don't even know where to start. How about a year ago when we moved here. We have a 3/4 acre lot so instead of trying to put a fence around the gigantic yard, we decided to get an electric fence for the dogs (notice I said dogs, we used to have 2). Casey, the dog we have now, got shocked by the fence and wouldn't go outside and was depressed overall by the move. Well the other dog, Greta, didn't get shocked at all (not sure why, we think her fur was too thick for the collar, plus she didn't really care to escape). So Greta saw her chance to become top dog and decided to take Casey on. They had lived together for years, since Greta was a puppy, and never fought at all. So, they got into a few fights that ended with blood and it was obvious they were not going to get along until one of them gave in or died. In fact, hubby was bit in the arm at one point (not trying to separate them because we know better, he just happened to be in the way when a fight started). So it was obvious, especially with kids in the house, that one of the dogs had to go. Casey was better with our son so we kept her and my parents reluctantly decided to take Greta. Anyway, so the electric fence thing worked for a while and then my wonderful FIL did a few home improvement projects with his back-hoe and broke the wire in a few places so the fence stopped working. Casey was fine for a while because she didn't realize she could escape but once she realized it wasn't working she started escaping. We actually live a few houses away from the ILs so she usually ended up over there. So this summer we decided to get a real fence. With the kids and new neighbors we had a few more reasons to get a fence so it seemed like a good idea. Ok, so we're up to about $5,500 to keep a dog in our yard. My well intentioned FIL installed the fence which was a MAJOR PITA. There were a few places that were a little too high above the ground and she somehow managed to get under the fence. We thought we blocked it all but she still escapes. Just a few weeks ago the dumb dog ran out the front door and when hubby went to get her, none other than the dog catcher was out (looking for our obnoxious Beagle neighbor dog, no doubt) and had her. She had a major attitute too and said she's in our neighborhood all the time and will keep an eye out for her, etc. So anyway, I've had it with this dog and don't know how much I can take. She ran off today before I was heading to my parents and I let the ILs know to look for her and she never showed up at their house. It was around 30 degrees out today too. And when I came home she was sitting in front of the garage ready to come in! She eats my sons food all the time, which I realize is just what dogs do, but I can't take it anymore! It seems like no matter what we do we can't keep the dog from escaping. I guess the moral of this story is if I ever mention getting another pet, remind me of this story. Grrr.........

5 Comments:

Blogger beki said...

Pets, what a pain! I have an old geriatric dog with lots of medical problems. I know this sounds horrible, but I'm ready for her to 'move on'. We're at the point where we keep her gated off in my back hall because of her bladder issues. When we get a fence (not in the budget at the moment) she'll spend more time outside, but she doesn't like it out too much. Before I had kids my pets were my fur babies, but since then they are no where near the same level. I guess I'm not as much as an animal lover as I used to be.

I feel for you, my dog used to be the same way with escaping. Now she's too old to care, though she still escapes from time to time.

12/13/2005 09:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

both of these posts made me have tears in my eyes picturing the dogs confusion from going to a member of the family to a burden behind a gate.

there are rescue organizations that could find homes that would love and enjoy your pets that you don't have the time or money for. your dogs deserve a home where they will be loved again. please think about it.

12/13/2005 05:23:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

My dog is a loved part of our family. The picture in this post clearly shows that. I was merely venting my recent frustruation with her constantly escaping, which I thought others could relate to.

I don't appreciate your implication that I am not providing a good home for my dog.

12/13/2005 05:55:00 PM  
Blogger Jes said...

Just for the edification of "anonymous" this dog was rescued by Heather from the pound. The dog came with so many behavioral problems, that she had Heather crying after two days. Heather has kept the dog through all of the dog's hard work at escaping and other bad behavior. After four or five years now, the dog is much more well behaved and is and has been loved through all of that. I think Heather might have a right to post a vent about the dog on her blog without having PETA after her.

12/14/2005 01:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from Korea if you don't want dog I have great recipe for you. Dog meat very tasty. So sorry for my bad Engrish.

12/14/2005 03:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home