Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Next project idea...

I need your advice. I've wanted to make the Cable Hooded Jacket from Debbie Bliss Cotton Knits for a long time but don't want to shell out over $100 for the yarn. The pattern calls for 21 balls of Debbie Bliss Cotton DK (100% cotton, 5 st./inch #6 needles, 50g/95y). I found Jo Sharp Soho Summer on WEBS and was wondering if it would make a good substitution? It's much cheaper and I was thinking I could hint to MIL that this would be a nice Christmas present. Any other suggestions for an inexpensive cotton yarn? I love cotton yarns. I'm fairly new to knitting so I haven't used many yarns and it can be hard to just order something off the internet without having put my hands on it. My LYS never seems to have what I want in stock (or enough of it). I'll post more about our Halloween once I get the pictures off my camera. It wasn't the greatest but I think I at least got some cute pictures of Claire (James absolutely refused to wear his costume).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember, you don't actually have to use cotton for the pattern, anyway DK weight would work although I would stick with cotton or wool because it would show the cabling better. Elann has some fantastic "brand" yarns including the new "Quecha" which is alpaca and tencel. That would look yummy. Rowan Cashcotton would work nice but that's pricey too! Hmm. Toughy. Check out WEBs for yarn, they have good discounts when you buy in larger quantities for a sweater.

11/01/2005 04:27:00 PM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

You might take a look at Knit Picks Shine, too. I can't remember the gauge off the top of my head, but it's cheap and knits up really nicely.

11/01/2005 05:19:00 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

I've used Soho Summer before, and it is a wonderful yarn. I think it would be a great and economical substitute.

Amy

11/01/2005 08:02:00 PM  
Blogger Jes said...

I just ordered some of the Quecha from Elann yesterday. It's 80% baby alpaca and 20% silk. I think it's sport weight, but I can't remember. When it comes in I can bring it up and see if you like it. If you can wait that long! ;) Otherwise, I know you have a skein of shine. Try knitting a cable in it and see if the guage works and it looks right. Otherwise that Jo Sharp looks like a good deal. $26 a bag is awesome.

11/02/2005 08:59:00 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I've had this same sweater on my list for ages - I bought brown sheep cotton fleece, which knits at the same gauge, but has a little bit of wool to make the cabling easier. knitpicks shine is a nice yarn, but it knits at a much smaller gauge. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress - you might inspire me to get started too.

11/04/2005 12:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home